The Hall of Botched Records
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal of Edeshirr the Wanderer. (Legacy of Potato Summaries)

Go down

Journal of Edeshirr the Wanderer. (Legacy of Potato Summaries) Empty Journal of Edeshirr the Wanderer. (Legacy of Potato Summaries)

Post by Seretis September 28th 2019, 20:37

10 Sarenith 4719 AR.

The latest endeavor on my road towards a form of independence has come to a close, I suppose. This last run with the current caravan is set to end when we arrive in Solku. Minimal funds from it, perhaps, but enough to ensure a degree of supply. At least the path is going around the northern edge of the desert proper instead of through it. Perhaps this heat will be enough to convince my guard, Loki, of the practicality of the robes and keffiyah that I wear. As things stand though, we should be nearing a landmark called "the Sultan's Claw", later today.

10 Sarenith 4719 AR, evening.

Events seem to be moving rapidly towards something ominous... Another caravan was already at Claw when we arrived. Their encampment was quite busy however, dealing with a flaming wagon. Loki attempted to aid the bucket-crew of this other caravan while I attempted to help organize the crew into something more efficient. Sadly, one of the guards of the second caravan, a half-orc in ornate armor of a style I'd never seen, although Loki seemed to recognize it, seemed to lose patience and just threw the caravan's drinking water barrel on the fire. It extinguished the wagon, although the guard did have to refill the barrel at a nearby oasis.

On a slight side note... The wagon had belonged to a Harrower. One of his cards was blown into Loki and myself as we arrived... The Cyclone. Also shortly after our arrival, but while the wagon was burning, the Claw itself burst into flames. Flames that did not actually burn the tree, a worrisome event. The ease at which that could have been a signal of some manner... Not a pleasant thought.

In the aftermath of the fire, we met with the leader of this other caravan, a woman called Lady Almah. She requested our aid, as outside interests, in determining the cause of the fire. While many of the caravan blamed a scout by the name of Dashki, a man with poorer hygiene that many Taldans I've had to deal with, my own questioning of the man seemed to point towards him being innocent of the fire... Although likely not of an attempt to ogle his employer. Dashki's own opinion was that a creature he called a "pugwampi", some manner of harbinger of bad luck, may have played a role in the fire's ignition. In addition, it was also pointed out that the Harrower kept numerous lit candles in his wagon. Lady Almah herself mentioned that her Harrower's readings had recently become notably grim, enough to disturb the man... In addition to The Cyclone (which had burnt up in Loki's hand when he mentioned it blowing into us) the man had also recently mentioned The Fiend and The Uprising. Sadly I am, both then and now, forced to admit that the fire was likely not set by anyone... At least no one who survived it.

When I passed along Dashki's pugwampi theory, Lady Almah decided to send Dashki out to find evidence of the creatures... Along with Loki, myself, and two others from her company. The half-orc guard, named Xavkas, and a female half-elf slave. (I should note, this girl seems to have power of some kind... I have yet to determine exactly what, though.) In addition to the search for these pugwampi creatures, we found evidence of a goat missing from the caravan, likely taken by the creatures.

After some effort and perhaps a misadventure or two, we found the goat. Tied to a large cactus, pin-cushioned and rather panicked, I might add. It took a couple of tries of my own, after one by Loki, to get the poor animal to stop running around... Granted this was due to it knocking itself out on my staff, but... Also, a bizarre creature, matching Dashki's description of a pugwampi, attacked as this happened. While it attempted to flee quickly upon injury, it seems that awareness might not have been its strong suit, as it promptly and fatally impaled itself on a cactus.

After extricating it, the goat and ourselves from the field of cacti we were in, we returned to the caravan. After providing proof of the creatures to Lady Almah (Dashki claimed the corpse and tied it to his walking stick) as well as returning the goat, talk moved towards the business of the caravan under Lady Almah's leadership. It seems that the rulers of Katapesh, the Pactmasters, had tasked her with the reclamation of the village of Kelmarane. As our contact with our previous caravan was actually concluded, I negotiated with Lady Almah on joining her efforts.

Currently, we are heading for an abandoned monastery near Kelmarane to use as a staging ground... One that we almost certainly will have to reclaim before basing out of it. As to the terms of our employment... 800 gold pieces each for Loki and myself, with half paid in advance. Perhaps this village could prove even more useful, especially for my own plans and studies, once reclaimed. I shall have to see how things play out.

Much of the events surrounding this little situation have me concerned, I'll admit. However, there can be only little profit made without risk. The key is determining how much risk is too much.

Oh, and when I next visit Katapesh itself, I must remember to look into local legends. The late Harrower's ravings spoke of a "Legacy of Fire" which none in the caravan had any clues towards. This could be important, though.

Edeshirr al-Azadei Naadheri Sedeq

YAY! Botched SAN check...
Seretis
Seretis
Admin
Admin

https://hallofbotchedrecords.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down